The National Association of Black Wedding Officiants (NABWO) was created by Rev. Angela Chester, a Non-Denominational Interfaith minister in Long Beach, CA.
The group is comprised of professional Clergyman, Justice of the Peace, and Ministers of African-American/Black decent, nationwide who perform civil, spiritual, religious, non-denominational and Interfaith ceremonies. We do not consider one faith “better” or more dominate - here every faith is equal!
Membership in the NABWO is for ordained ministers who subscribe to the belief that couples should be able to express their own personalities, beliefs, faiths and desires in creating their ceremonies. For more on membership go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NABWO/
The goal of NABWO is the continual progression in the following areas, but are not limited to:
Professionalism at all times
Sharing of educational information for it members
Providing counseling for our members if requested
A referral system for couples seeking an officiant
Providing counseling for our couples if requested
We take being a member of the NABWO very seriously. We ask that our Officiants abide by the following Code of Ethics.
National Association of Black Wedding Officiants
Code of Ethics
All members have agreed to abide by the following standards of ethics:
- The role of minister/officiate carries with it authority and power. I will fulfill my responsibility and use this power to benefit the people who call upon me for service.
- Will offer a simple to read and understand Agreement with prices and services clearly stated.
- I will maintain the boundaries of the ministerial relationship. Crossing these boundaries is a betrayal of trust. Those who seek my services can be confident that I do not have any hidden agenda of any kind.
- I will possess all licenses and/or credentials required by the laws of my State to legally perform wedding or other ceremonies.
- I will strive to be compassionate, gentle, humble, never seeking my own selfish interests. I will openly discuss my goals and visions, never having a secret agenda to destroy the credibility and reputation of others to lift myself up, or promote a hidden personal agenda.
- I will develop caring, yet professional relationships with all those who come to me for services, and be available, prompt, punctual and professional in dealing with the bride, groom, families, guests and all wedding vendors.
- If a dispute arises, it will be settled professionally and promptly.
- I am in honor bound to hold sacred all confidences reposed in me. Confession, statements of error or seeming misconduct made in consultation and any defects of character or misbehavior revealed to me while engaged as counselor shall be kept secret and held inviolate and never divulged to another person regardless of that other person's status or relation, except as I may choose to do so as required by state or federal law.
- I believe that more is taught by what a minister is than what s/he says. Therefore, I will seek to keep my morals above reproach. I will exercise good judgment in regard to my social conduct. My relationships will be such as to command only the highest respect.
- I recognize that it is incumbent upon me to hold all ministers in esteem and respectful regard, and to use all rightful means to protect the personal and professional honor of all other ministers/clergy or officiates. I will not infringe upon or interfere in the work of another minister.
- I will be a shining example of honesty in my financial dealings, by paying bills on time, accurately reporting for income tax purposes and avoiding questionable activities or practices.